School-Wide Learning Expectations
A St. Mel graduate is:
An active, responsible Catholic is one who:
- Displays commitment to the Church by regular attendance and participation in liturgies, prayer services, retreats and sacramental preparation programs.
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of Scripture and teachings of the Catholic Church.
- Develops a vibrant, life-giving personal relationship with God.
- Participates in community service.
- Demonstrates Christian values, including compassion, tolerance, justice, and respect.
A moral and ethical individual in one who:
- Speaks out to defend what is right.
- Develops self-control and sense of responsibility for one’s action.
- Shows accountability, independence, and courage in making moral decisions.
- Develops an awareness of our personal responsibilities to the community and beyond.
An effective communicator is one who:
- Interprets, communicates, and expresses written information competently.
- Employs critical listening skills.
- Understands and uses technology responsibly.
- Uses communication as a means of conflicts resolutions in constructive manner.
- Recognizes and understands nonverbal communication.
A Life-long learner is one who:
- Demonstrates an enthusiasm for educational development in all disciplines.
- Is goal oriented.
- Demonstrates the use of tools and strategies for learning.
- Appreciates aesthetic beauty and fine arts.
A physically and mentally healthy person is one who:
- Has a positive sense of self-worth.
- Recognizes and appreciates the talents and skills of oneself and others.
- Understands and appreciates that a healthy body develops an active and alert mind.
An independent, open-minded thinker is one who:
- Adapts knowledge to real life experiences reasonably and rationally.
- Recognizes peer pressure and how to deal with it.
- Is self-directed and demonstrates initiative.
- Is encouraged to reason independently, think critically and constructively, and to demonstrate resourcefulness dealing with challenges.