Technology in the Classroom
Over the past several years, major improvements to the information technology infrastructure at St. Mel have been made to support the expanding role of technology in the educational curriculum and the day-to-day operation of the school. We have a continued commitment to the integration of technology into all aspects of the school, creating a 21st century learning environment. In a very short time, technology has moved from a novelty in education to an integral part of school life. We continue to work hard to keep pace with the quickly changing technology culture. Here are a few highlights of recent technological advancements at the school:
- All classrooms in Kindergarten through 8th grade are equipped with SMARTboards. All teachers have been trained on the use of the interactive white boards and are an integral interactive component of the daily classroom experience.
- Technology in the classroom has been enhanced through implementation of the Accelerated Reader Program and STAR Reading assessments; all classrooms have dedicated stations for AR quizzes.
- Technology classes are attended weekly by all students in our Tech lab. The program features project-based learning for children in grades Kindergarten – 8th that integrates Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, including the Arts. Our computer teacher teams regularly with classroom teachers to integrate students.
- Our Technology Lab has been upgraded through the generosity of the Intel PC Pals Program with 22 new computers. All computers are equipped with Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010.
- All Integrated Language Arts classrooms are equipped with computer work stations, grades K – 8th.
- Parents have continual and up-to-date access to online grading, attendance, homework, forms and classroom and school news through Schoolyard. This means parents have a peek into the teacher’s grade book at all times for their child.
- Schoolyard and Wiki serves as a primary tool for communication for classroom teachers as well as the administration.