Service To Others
The Mercy tradition of "service to others" is continued today as part of our faith development. At St. Mel Catholic School, we recognize the value and dignity of all people and acknowledge our responsibility to be good stewards of the gifts God has given us. Through participation in community service projects throughout the year, our students learn about the needs of others in our community and discover that even at a young age, they can follow the teachings of Jesus and help those in need. The following is a list of our 2015-2016 community service projects:
- TK students & families collect gifts for Rosie's T qy Drive benefiting the children and babies at Sutter Medical Center during Advent.
- Kindergarten sponsors a tqy and clothing drive to benefit the Shriners Children's Hospital during Advent.
- First Seventh graders make homemade blankets for the Linus Project to distribute to children in hospitals, shelters, foster care, or having a difficult time during Advent.
- Second Grade students make rosaries for Fr. Carlos]. Caban, a missionary priest in Puerto Rico to distribute to youth groups, children and other mission groups in Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.
- Third Grade students and families raise money and sponsor a rescued horse through All About Equine Animal Rescue in El Dorado Hills.
- Fourth Grade students and their families bring in specific items from designated lists such as dog and cat food and donate to the Placer Counry SPCA on a monthJy basis.
- Fifth Grade students participate in the Catholic Relief Services Rice Bowl Program during Lent. Students and their families receive a bowl to fill with almsgiving.
- Sixth Grade students and families collect and donate items that are on the Sacramento SPCA's wish list during Lent.
- Eighth grade students coordinate the Baby Bottle Project in grades TK-8th to benefit the Sacramento Life Center during Lent. Also, on the first Friday of every month six 8th graders volunteer at Loaves & Fishes.
St. Mel Service Club
Comprised of 7th and 8th Grade students, the St. Mel Service Club meets once per month to learn about and demonstrate service to others.
- In the Fall, students distribute groceries and produce to needy families at the Sacramento Food Bank and FamiLy Services. Students make and bake pies for our parish Thanksgiving Food baskets, and they help clean the church.
- At Christmas, students make Christmas cards and travel to a senior care facility to sing Christmas carols.
- In January, students can either participate in the Walk for Life or Step Up for Down syndrome walk.
- In the Spring, students volunteer again at the Sacramento Food Bank and FamiLy Services.
- FinalLy, students participate in the "Giving Back" program. Students individually decide how they are going to "personally "give of their time, energy and talents to benefit others such as a teacher, a parent, an elderly neighbor, or a local organization.
School Wide Service Projects
- Students and families collect over 1, 2 oo nonperishable canned food items and approximately 50 frozen turkeys during the annual Thanksgiving Food Drive for St. Vincent DePaul's Thanksgiving food baskets.
- During Catholic Schools Week, Student Council sponsors a penrry war for the Gabriel Project at St. Mel Church. The Gabriel Project supports women who are pregnant by providing emotional, spiritual and material support to help them meet their needs.
- In P.E. classes, all students will participate in the American Heart Association's "Jump Rope for Heart" in the Spring.